Wednesday, January 12, 2011

The Truth

"And why worry about a speck in your friend's eye when you have a log in your own? How can you think of saying to your friend, 'Let me help you get rid of that speck in your eye,' when you can't see past the log in your own eye? Hypocrite! First get rid of the log in your own eye; then you will see well enough to deal with the speck in your friend's eye." --Matthew 7:3-5

I'll be honest, this passage of scripture hits me right in the heart. This past year has been a whirlwind of events, planning, stress, and joy, but it's also been a year, partly of darkness in my own heart, partly joy, and partly stagnation. The first half of 2010 I spent in depression, anger, and bitterness. God sent me to Costa Rica and He healed my heart and took away the unforgiveness that was there. For a little while after that, I spent more time with Him, grew in Him, but then let myself get distracted, stray and wander away from Him. He never left me...but I turned from Him. I let myself get so busy and stressed, I stopped talking to Him. As this new year started, I felt the ache to spend time with Him again, in the Word and in prayer, I really missed Him. For so long, I would judge others for living lives that seemed un-Christlike, when I was living away from God myself. So far in 2011, I'm determined to be consistent with Him. A best friend isn't someone you say 'hi' to only when you need them, it's someone you talk to fairly regularly, and think about often. God needs to be my best friend before I can be where I need to be in order to help those around me. I just want to be honest.
It does feel wonderful, though, to have a kind of new beginning, a new year, a fresh start in my relationship with the Lord, and I'm super excited about it. :-)

In Christ,
Emily Grace

No comments:

Post a Comment